Tuesday, September 8, 2009

White : A blank page or canvas


"The Challenge: bring order to the whole through design, composition, tension, balance, light, and harmony."

This is the line that starts out one of my favorite musicals, "Sunday in the Park with George" by Stephen Sondheim. It begins with the stage completely blank, harsh, white light filling the space. George Seurat , one of my favorite artist, is only character onstage as he opens the musical with these lines. It's about the creation of one his most famous works, "Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte". I've always loved this opening and the visual progression to the stage as he adds more to his painting. By the end of the first act, the entire painting is recreated onstage before your eyes with people posing for his grand portrait of a lazy Sunday afternoon....

I feel as if this is what we all try to do with our lives in some way or the other. We start off with a mostly blank page for us to decide what we will add. What direction do we want to take with our lives? What artistic influences will change our perspective and make us want to paint our lives to be more colorful or exciting or even just erase everything we had created and want to start over?

I am using this an outlet for my thoughts and opinions on everything that crosses my mind because.... I have a LOT on my mind.

This is my last year at my undergrad and I want to use this to also keep track of all the insanity that I can't believe is my life sometimes. I also will try and keep a theme with my entries, but I can't promise anything.

I can only hope that I am on my way to creating something that I will want to look back upon and be proud of.

No comments:

Post a Comment